Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Trailer: West of Memphis

West of Memphis is the hotly anticipated new documentary following the trio of Paradise Lost documentaries (the latter, Purgatory, was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at last year's Academy Awards). West of Memphis focuses on the extraordinary case of the West Memphis Three - Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. - the three teenagers wrongly convicted for the murder three 8-year-old boys in West Memphis in the 1993. Now, nearly 20 years later, the men have been released - and this documentary provides further insight into the devastating case and the miscarriage of justice, their personal journeys along the way and an investigation into a new suspect.

Produced by Peter Jackson and Damien Echols and directed by Amy J. Berg, there is no set release date in Australian cinemas though it is screening at the Brisbane Film Festival later in the month. Check out the trailer below:


3 comments:

  1. I find this case so fascinating. I actually have my own draft of West of Memphis sitting on my dashboard. I got hooked after watching the first 3 segments on HBO, and was ecstatic when I found out they were finally released. I think West of Memphis is basically an overview of the three movies + the aftermath, but I'd see it regardless. It's such a tragic story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find this case really fascinating. I've seen all of Paradise Lost and read Life after Death (though the ending of that book is a little off in my opinion) I look forward to seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this doc either. Be really interesting to see the case examined through new eyes.

    ReplyDelete