Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday Links (05/11/12)

I watched Brick for the first time this week. I was impressed, especially by Joseph Gordon Levitt's performance. It was well-dialogued and gripping, if some of the developments were unrealistic, given the location and the age of the characters.


I also made a trip to the cinema to watch Frankenweenie. Great to see it in contention for an Oscar nomination for Animated Feature. It would be disappointing to see it miss out, because it is some of Burton's best work in a while. It looked stunning and is an effective balance of sweet, amusing and macabre, with some honorary nods to classic creature films. It even brought some tears to my eyes.

My review of Seven Psychopaths is now online at Graffiti With Punctuation. I am in the minority with my opinion on this one. It is out this week.

Later today, I will be posting a DVD review of Once Upon A Time In Anatolia on The Film Emporium, a film I appreciated much more on a re-watch.

Tomorrow I am seeing Two Little Boys and next weekend I am traveling to Canberra for the Canberra Film Fest. Like Someone In Love, Rust and Bone and Smashed are scheduled in. Then I am seeing Radiohead live and watching Skyfall, so there are lots of awesome things to look forward to. Just have to get through this week of work. Its been kicking my ass recently. Very busy.

So, enough about what I am up to. Here are some links:

Ruth shares her thoughts on The Master

Sam has a new 'Best Films Set In...' feature. This time its Hotels

As part of his Horror Marathon, Alex looks at his Top 10 Scariest Non-Horror Films.

CS reviews A Fantastic Fear of Everything (starring Simon Pegg) at Toronto After Dark.

Nick asks us a question: What does the 'Nooooo' really represent? 

Margaret at Cinematic Corner reviews Skyfall.

Anna compares Fight Club - book vs. movie.

Sam Fragoso reviews Flight.

Andrew's 'Essential Performances of the 90's' Tournament has come to an end. You can now check out the winner.

Tyler, like Alex, lists the 20 Scariest Films He Has Ever Seen.

Ryan shares his thoughts on new Disney animation, Wreck-it Ralph.

And, if you are an Australian resident, be sure to enter the fantastic giveaway currently running at Graffiti. Find out how we are celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Universal Pictures.

Hope everyone has a great week.

11 comments:

  1. I liked Brick quite a bit. You have to be a fan of noir to like it, though. It's fun to read some of the WTF? comments from teens over on IMDB who watched this thinking they were going to see some kind of high school movie like 21 Jump Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew a little bit about it, but I can imagine a lot of people were disappointed/confused.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link! Ahh..good luck with Two Little Boys :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to Brick ... it's next on my Netflix Instant queue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I didn't love it, much like LOOPER, but it is still a very impressive work. Engaging story, plenty of twists and turns and the film noir genre turned on its head.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link dude! Also, you're doing great work at GWP. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers man. Thanks for checking out my stuff over there. I am happy to know that my loyal readers are still with me. I feel like I have improved as a writer since I started there - and really trying to make the most of the awesome opp presented me.

      Delete
    2. Hell yeah dude, that's what it's all about. You're killing it.

      Delete