Tuesday, February 28, 2012

UPDATE: End-of-Year Awards - My 30 Best Films of 2011


As I explained in my previous 'Best of 2011' I would be updating that list following the Oscars to include any January and February 2011 releases that I feel should be considered amongst recognition. As a result of many of the Oscar contenders getting a release, and with some proving to be exceptional, this list has significantly changed. Any films that are released in cinemas following today will be considered a 2012 Australian release. Currently The Grey leads the pack for 2012.

Let me know what you think of the updated list. How does it reflect yours?

*Denotes New Addition

1. Senna
2. A Separation
3. The Tree of Life
4. Incendies
5. Project Nim
6. We Need to Talk About Kevin
7. Drive
8. Take Shelter
9. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy*
10. Moneyball
11. The Skin I Live In
12. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo*
13. The Descendants
14. Midnight in Paris
15. Warrior
16. Rango
17. Weekend*
18. Martha Marcy May Marlene
19. Armadillo
20. Shame*
21. The Artist*
22. 13 Assassins
23. The Ides of March
24. Win Win
25. Contagion
26. Attack the Block
27. Of Gods and Men
28. Snowtown
29. The Muppets
30. Meek's Cutoff

20+ Honourable Mentions: Trust, Certified Copy, The Trip, Hugo, The Guard, L'illusionniste, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Adventures of Tintin, In A Better World, Hanna, I Saw the Devil, Never Let Me Go, Beginners, Kill List, Buck, Bill Cunningham New York, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Elite Squad 2: The Enemy Within, 20 Cigarettes, Young Adult and Crazy Stupid Love.

6 comments:

  1. I think there's a typo: you said "20. Shame", but I think you meant "02. Shame"

    Ha, just kidding, great additions here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I really liked Shame - but I had more memorable experiences with the ones listed before it. To make this list is still prestigious. After discussing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo with some friends after the Oscars, it jumped up the list. Had so many great conversations about that film. More than any other film this year I think. These aren't with people who have disliked the film either. Many have liked it as much as me, and admired the changes made by Zaillian and Fincher.

      Delete
  2. My 2011 list is still ever changing with the most recent being Attack the Block which is now #6 in the Best Films of 2011 list. There's a couple of 2011 films via DVR I'm going to watch this week while I also have a screener of A Separation that I'll watch in the weekend. I also recently purchased a couple of 2010 releases due to my local Blockbuster's everything-must-go sale for a total of $4 in Meek's Cutoff and The Cave of Forgotten Dreams. I'm going to watch the former this week while the latter will be later as I have to retrieve my old Werner Herzog reviews and do some edits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, they are two bargains there. I had a lot of fun with Attack the Block. A Separation is a five star film without a doubt. I think this list will change in the future (though no more updates) as I eventually see some of the ones that have eluded me.

      Delete
  3. ต้องการเว็บชัวร์ การเงินมั่นคง เว็บตรงไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์
    ต้องที่นี่ เล่นง่าย ไม่ต้องโยกเงิน แจกจริง

    ReplyDelete