Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday Links (24/10)


I can't believe it was over a week ago that I saw Warrior. How this week has flown. I'm up to 29 films this month. Keeping up to date on new releases, I attended a screening of The Three Musketeers and sessions of Red State and Contagion. Soderbergh's film I really liked. In what is becoming a weekly ritual, my friends and I had a movie night - this week watching Weekend at Bernie's and Harold and Maude for the first time. I finally started my Godard marathon with Breathless and A Woman is a Woman and also finally saw Werner Herzog's extraordinary Fitzacarraldo. For the remainder of the month I will be focusing mostly on Godard, Carpenter (for LAMBS in the Director's Chair) and Kate Winslet (because she is awesome, and I want to catch up on a few of her films for LAMB Acting School 101). Oh, and Drive comes out on the 27th so I'll definitely be squeezing in another viewing at some point.

So, on with the links for this week:

My buddy Luke Asprey has recently made a short film called Dr Dill Presents HSV Awareness for a competition promoting awareness about HSV's. Check it out here and swing a vote it's way.


Jessica, whose site The Velvet Cafe is one of my favourites, has written a personal piece on Duncan Jone's 2009 sci-fi gem, Moon.

Be sure to check out a great site called The Reel Bits, run by Richard Gray. Every week there are competitions and giveaways. I'm hoping I win a copy of Meek's Cutoff, which is reviewed on the site this week.

Danny King @ The King Bulletin re-assesses his Oscar Predictions following the NYFF.

Steven @ Surrender to the Void gives us his Top 10 Kate Winslet Performances. Something I will endeavour to put together also.

Tyler @ Southern Vision always has an interesting list. This week he gives readers 25 Things He Loves About Dr. Strangelove and updates his Top 100 List.

Never Too Early Movie Predictions reviews Take Shelter. It is some superb writing.

If you haven't read Tom Clift's review of Contagion @ Movie Reviews by Tom Clift, you should.

John @ John Likes Movies gives 4 stars to Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch Drunk Love. I love that film...and suddenly have the urge to watch it again.

Sam @ Duke and the Movies got in just before me with his review of Breathless. It's a great write-up.

Stevee @ Cinematic Paradox finally got the chance to see Midnight in Paris. She loved it! Also, to honour the 2nd Birthday of Cinematic Paradox she updated her Top 100 List.

Finally, my buddy Alex @ ...And So it Begins writes a very personal message to his brother, with whom he shares a very unique relationship. He reflects on some of their cinema experiences together.

Have a great week, everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link man. BTW, what you think of Weekend at Bernie's? I think it's a silly but entertaining film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it. Plenty of laughs, and while the two main characters weren't memorable, almost every gag with Bernie's body worked in some way. Silly, but enjoyable and great for a movie night with pizza and friends...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should write a post detailing the "Weekend at Bernie's" & "Harold and Maude" movie night. I can't even fathom how awesome that sounds. You won't get a more unique double feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pretty awesome. Death made funny. The image of Harold chopping at his hand with a giant meat cleaver is still in my head. I hadn't actually considered a post on the double feature, but thanks for the idea. I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link love! I really appreciate your love for my review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link. Wow, you saw some great movies... Fitzcarraldo is another one I recently rewatched, it's absolutely stunning. Glad to see you've started with the Godard films. I just rented My Life to Live, are you watching that one? Best film I watched this week was David Cronenberg's Eastern Promises, which I have waited far too long to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the link love! I've seen Contagion this weekend too and plan to write a review soonish. Basically I liked it but I might have a remark here or there. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ NeverTooEarlyMP - You're welcome. I really like the ideas you raise in the review. It's one of the best I have read.

    @ Tyler - I will eventually watch My Life to Live. it might be next on my list - either that or Bande A Part. I like Eastern promises a lot. Cronenberg has very few weak films but its one of his best, for sure.

    @ Jessica - Pleasure. I look forward to reading what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the link, Andy. That is really very kind of you.

    Sounds like you're watching some great stuff. I'm a HUGE Herzog fan. If you liked Fitzacarraldo you'd really like Les Blank's Burden of Dreams, which is a feature length doc about the making of Fitzacarraldo.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No worries my friend. Look forward to hearing the newest LAMBcast.

    I too like Herzog - Aguirre: The Wrath of God will be in my newly updated Top 100. I have been recommended Burden of Dreams, which I imagine will be just as extraordinary as the film. Look forward to it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link! I have finally found out when Contagion is out here: 10th November. I think I might go and see it while I'm on 'study' leave, haha. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Sam - You're welcome buddy. Nice review of what I expect to be Godard's masterpiece, though I have plenty of potentially amazing films ahead of me.

    @ Stevee - It is good. I urge you to check it out. Congrats again for hitting two years!

    ReplyDelete