Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My film and television odyssey in July

This has been so far another extremely busy month and I have managed to only see Toy Story 3 (for the second time) and a festival screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Also I haven't been tempted to see anything at Event because of some very poor quality releases at the Box Office. Predators is intriguing as I enjoyed Arnie's original, but felt inclined to forget the horrible sequel with Danny Glover and the subsequent Alien Vs Predator flicks. I'll check it out for a bit of fun. I have been told it is a mindless action flick that knows exactly who it's target audience is, and at times captures the brilliance of the original, while remaining clear of the mediocrity which plagues the most recent films in the Alien/Predator franchise. Most of my free time has been spent on HBO's The Sopranos, a show I had never had time to see, nor had the energy to get absorbed into. It will take quite a commitment to complete all 6 seasons, but so far it is just superbly crafted drama. Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) is one of the greatest television characters in history, and both the brutality of his business interests and his sensitive domestic life is wonderfully balanced. I am looking forward to future episodes, and will likely be donating all my free time to the show. July is looking to be a quiet month on the blogging stage, but i'll be back soon with some fresh reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment